Friday, May 4, 2012

Melting Heart!

I was going to put this story into a quick, short and simple to the point Facebook status update, but this story is too cute I just can't!

I hope this story touches your heart just as much as it touched mine, and my sisters as well!

My Aunt Sue works at my old high school as a Spec Ed teacher. We agreed to run a bake sale two Friday's each month. We would split the money, half to REACH and half to Natalie's Crew. Today, Shawn and the girls were able to meet us at the bake sale and show off the girls and hopefully draw in more people!

We got there around the same time, I set up while she got the girls situated. There was five minutes before the lunch bell was about to ring, which is when the DAP (Delaware Autistic Program) students quickly run down and get there lunch. There was one girl in particular who stared at Natalie. You could tell by her face she wanted to come over and say hello and see Natalie. I wanted to say hello and signal to her it was alright for her to come over, but her teacher was signaling for her to come get lunch. Five minutes passed....

Time for the students to walk back to their classroom to eat lunch. The girl who stood there staring stopped and said hello to me. Luckily, I remembered her name and perhaps made things a little less awkward for her! She quickly ignored me and began talking to my sister who was holding Natalie at that point.

Our conversation went a little like this:

Me: Hello Marie!
Marie: Hi.
Marie: Who's baby is this?
(I gestured toward my sister)
Shawn: She's mine, this is Natalie and that one over there is Hannah
Marie: Does she...she looks just like my brother
(Awkward pause)
Kelly: Does he have Down syndrome?
Marie: Yes
Shawn: Natalie has Down syndrome too!

Pause!...You could see her brain turning and my sister claims to know what was coming next...

Marie: Are you sad?
Shawn: That she has Down syndrome?
Marie: Yes
Shawn: No!
Marie: Well were you at first when she was born?
Shawn: Maybe a little, but we're very happy!
Marie: Oh, okay. Good bye!

My heart had tears. Happy tears. Marie made a wonderful connection. And you couldn't help but laugh when she asked Shawn if she was sad!

There was this other girl standing behind Marie admiring Natalie. I don't know her name but our conversation went like this...

Kelly: Hi!
Shawn: Hi!
Girl: Hello!
.......
Girl: Well who's family are you?!?!
(We chuckled)
Kelly: (Pointing to Shawn) This is my sister and there's are her two daughter's Natalie and Hannah!
Girl: Okay, bye!

After those two short minutes, the rest of the kids were walking by with their lunches and their teacher. They all had pure excitement on their faces! This little baby, was someone like them!

Aunt Sue came back after delivering lunches to her kids. We talked about the conversation we just had with Marie. As Aunt Sue told us, Marie did Teen Night along with Kyle. (Kyle is our cousin with Down syndrome) When Marie noticed Aunt Sue there, she tapped Aunt Sue, pointed to Kyle and asked "Is that your son?" "He looks just like my brother!"


I just had to share that story with you!! Marie melted my heart! Today was good!

No comments:

Post a Comment