Saturday, May 26, 2012

A Special Little Girl

Pulmonary Hypertension (PH). How many of you know what that is? I have to admit, I didn't know what it was until I met Molly. Pulmonary Hypertension is abnormally high blood pressure in the arteries of the lungs causing the right side of the heart to work harder than normal. It causes chest pain, shortness of breath, and the worst part of it all, there's no cure. 


When Natalie was in the hospital, we met the Dunne family whose daughter Molly was in the hospital for PH. Below is Molly's story: 


Seven year old, Molly Dunne, was diagnosed with severe Pulmonary Hypertension after collapsing on her first day of kindergarten in Sept 2010. She has had a long, difficult journey since then. A few days after she collapsed, she went into cardiac arrest and was placed on ECMO (heart-lung bypass). She was then flown from Delaware to Pittsburgh, PA and became the 2nd child in the U.S. to be placed on an artificial lung, called a Novalung. She remained on the Novalung for 25 days. During that time we learned Molly suffered a significant brain injury. We were told she may never see, walk, talk or do anything like a normal child again. We also found out that her Pulmonary Hypertension is due to Hereditary Hemorraghic Telangiectasia which is a genetic condition that causes malformations in blood vessels. She has been in rehab therapy for the past 17 months and is now walking with the help of a walker, saying a few words and most definitely sees everything around her. She has come so far. Unfortunately, her Pulmonary Hypertension has progressed. She is in heart failure and her lungs are very sick. She is not eligible for transplant and we are working with Palliative Care to try and make whatever time she has left the best it can be! Molly has an older brother Ryan, age 9, and a twin sister, Kate. Molly is dearly loved by so many. Both Pulmonary Hypertension and HHT are rare disorders and we want to get the word out to hopefully help prevent another family having to go through what we've been through.


I remember the first and only time I met Molly. I was tired of sitting in the hospital room so I went for a walk around the Cardiac Unit where Molly and Natalie were residing. I had seen this pinkalicious room several times and this time, the door to the room was open. I knocked as Molly's mom Kristen welcomed me in. I took a look at Molly and told her I loved all the pink, pink lights, a pink Christmas tree, pink blankets, pink stuffed animals, pink everything; my favorite color. 


Little did I know, that would be the last time I'd get to see Molly. I'm not sure which, but one of us got to leave the hospital first. I found Molly's Facebook page (click here) about a month ago. Molly had a bucket list circulating and everyone and their brother's mother was helping to fulfill this bucket list! I got to help, #42, I took Molly to the top of the Rockford Tower. 


Sadly, Molly's condition worsened very fast and she passed away May 17, 2012. Molly's legacy still lives on and is helping to raise awareness about PH. 


Sunday May 20th the day of the Buddy Walk, the Dunne family had asked everyone who could attend to join them at Molly's Elementary School to blow bubbles up to Heaven. Since we couldn't, I found a different way to honor Molly!


We wrote messages on the balloons

 And sent them on their way to Heaven!
 See that little tiny speck above the tree, that's one of the balloons.


If you would like to leave Molly and her family a message visit their CaringBridge website here!
If you would like to 'like' the Miracles For Molly Facebook page visit here!


Rest easy Molly girl! You are dearly missed! <3


Molly Dunne! <3
*Picture taken off her Facebook page*
  

No comments:

Post a Comment